Wednesday, 26 July 2006 00:00
Published in K2 BroadPeak 2006

According to team Netherlands the Italian expedition led by Nives Meroi and Romano Benet are now at camp 4 today- Pending weather conditions and how the team are feeling they will be making a summit attempt tonight. If successful this will be the first of the season.

For the best of Irish mountaineering news and comments


Climbers on the move to camp 4 taken with telescope (c) Wilco

Tuesday, 18 July 2006 00:00
Published in K2 BroadPeak 2006

The push is about to start for the summit of K2.
The tension will be high for all that follow the progress of Ger, Mick and all the other teams on K2 over the coming weeks.

Having climbed with Ger and Mick over the years I have great confidence in their ability to succeed safely on what is one of the most exciting mountains in the world. They also have the courage and sense to turn if the need arises, one of the greatest qualities in a high altitude mountaineer. Ger and Mick have the strength, the confidence, a self belief and a continous positive attitude to pull this off if the mountain gives them a fair chance with the weather.

It’s at times like this that I get excited myself and wish that I to could be on the ascent with them.

Pat Falvey

Update from
This is an update from the Wilco’s web site who is climbing with Ger and Mick.

I love it when a plan comes together!
UPDATE Tuesday July 18th.
We are very pleased to know that so many English speaking readers are following our website. First we would like to thank all of you for the encouragement you gave the climbing teams. They have been reading your messages and they give them strength.
The teams will start tomorrow morning wednesday 19th. They will climb to ABC.

Thursday they will climb from ABC to camp 1. Team1: Ryan, Gerard, Mich and Wilco will proceed on Friday towards camp 2. On Saturday they will be in camp 3 and Sunday morning they will go for Camp 4. Very early on Mondaymorning (01.00hr local time) they will start their summit push. That last part wil be a round trip of approx. 17 hrs.
Today the team discovered the remains of Renato Casarotto, a very famous Italian solo climber who died tragically on descent. They found some remains and some artifacts. They informed the Italian Expedition who will decide what to do. Most likely they will decide the same as the Italian Expedition in 2004. Transport the remains to Gikey memorial and bury them there. You can read more about Renato and his tragic death here:

If you want you can enter our contest. Send an email with the date and time you think Wilco, Gerard, Mich and Ryan will reach the summit . The address is: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The first prize is a beautiful carrying bag from The North Face.
Until next time.

Further reports on explorers web..


Monday, 26 June 2006 00:00
Published in K2 BroadPeak 2006

Ger McDonnell is going for the summit on Broad Peak in preparation for K2 with Mick Murphy. Con Collins, John Dowd are moving up today to camp 3 or 4 as far as we can make out from Alan's report below.

I fully admit that I will leave BC tomorrow morning not fully confident I can make it. All I can do is my best. The bug still lives inside me with some recent developments but I will spare you the details. However at some point you have to jump into the water. I am inspired by the performance of Ryan, JJ and our three High Altitude Porters. To clarify, the three HAPs stood at the base of the last 100' climb and choose not to stand on the true summit. This is quite common in Nepal, Tibet, Pakistan and other countries where it is viewed as disrespectful to stand completely on a mountain summit.

So to be sure, these three HAPs all summitted Broad Peak. I packed my gear this afternoon in a mood of excitement, uncertainty and confidence. I am excited to get back on the Hill. There have been moments when I have not but now I am and it feels good. I am uncertain due to what has gone on inside my body as well as my previous performance above 23000'. In consultation with my doctor and a recent MPH graduate from UCLA and and undergrad from CAL in infectious diseases (thanks Ashley :-) ); I am told that if I was home they would have put me on limited activity and a solid well balanced diet and few more drugs to wipe this bug out for at least 30 days.

Well, obviously, I am not under that regiment! But you have to do what you can do so off I go. I leave confident because I have been in this situation before. I have pushed my body hard, too hard often, and know what it feels like. I am confident that I will know if and when it is time to turn around. Simply put I will not put myself nor my teammates at risk just to stand on the summit. A year and half ago, I had no idea this idea would turn into the reality it has. As you can tell from the dispatches thus far, this is a unique team.

With eight nationalities, a wide age and mountaineering experience range, there is a common love of mountains, adventure and challenge that bonds us together. Yes, there have been a few spats, that was expected but again the common bond has kept everything in check and the focus is on the common goal. When we got the word that some of the team had summitted, a spontaneous cheer erupted from the cooks to the water boy to the climbers to the Pakistani Military Liaison Officers. Yes everyone wants to see success and is putting their all into making it happen. Tonight all the porters from the other expeditions will gather at our camp about dark.

They will sing and dance and celebrate the success of their own and our expedition's first summit. The pride runs deep in this poor country. Opportunities to celebrate are rare these days and this will be a big one. Perhaps I will leave day after tomorrow! So as I prepare to go up the Hill, I ask for all your positive energy for me and my teammates. Wilco and Gerrard are making their bid tonight. More climbers tomorrow and more later. We will move from camp to camp higher up the Hill and make the final bid from Camp 4. The whole process will take 4 or 5 days. This is why we are here. This is when the test really begins. There are a thousand reasons to stop and only a few to push on. And those are personal and unique to each climber. Please accept our love of mountaineering. Please accept our result regardless of what it is. Please know that this is what makes us alive, it is the fuel that drives us on an individual level. We miss our families deeply. Make no mistake. We thank you all for your support. We will see you soon. Climb on! Alan Arnette


Monday, 19 June 2006 00:00
Published in K2 BroadPeak 2006
With everyone settled into Base Camp, climbers are starting to work their way up Broad Peak.

Over the past few days, Camp 1 has been establish. There is fixed line in place for the climber's safety. While we have seven High Altitude Porters, JJ and Ryan are carrying a lot of the burden in that they are the ones placing the protection and tying the knots. The HAPs are good and strong but their work needs to be double checked. This was not unexpected. I climbed to 5350m, 17,600' yesterday along with several of my team mates. It was a good day. However, I can still feel the effect of my infection. While my beathing was good and comfortable, I was tired and did not have a deep reserve. Hopefully that will return over the next week or so. I was very, very surprised, however, at how steep the climbing is on Broad Peak. It was a continuous 45 to 55 degree angle on good snow. The angle is as such that some climbers used their rappel (absail) devices on the down climb. If you slip and are not clipped into the fixed line, you would fall hundreds of meters and most likely suffer a serious injury. I don't write this to scare anyone or to act brave but rather to show that there are no "easy" 8000m mountains. I am always annoyed when I hear that term since any mountain can kill you much less one of this size. Broad Peak is sometimes called an easy 8000m mountain since it is not the highest or has difficult ice or rock sections. However, it is very high, very steep and very dangerous. We are all begin very careful and looking after one another. Wilco spent the night last night at Camp 1, the first for our team. Other climbers are moving up to spend nights there are well today. Everyone must spend a few nights at the high camps to drive the acclimatization process. The weather continues to be fantastic. We have had a stiff breeze occasionally but no heavy snows. It is still an amzing experience to wake up in the morining, look out my tent and see Broad Peak looming above and then K2 standing proud and alone to our west.. report from Alan Arnette who is on the team with The Irish
Monday, 22 May 2006 00:00
Published in General
Con Moriarty, John Hussey, John Healy, Ronan O Siochru are flying out today to start climbing on the 26th. They are hoping to meet up with Ger McDonnel in Anchorage for a few drinks before Ger leaves for K2. All are very excited at tackling Denali ‘The Great White One’. It should be a good one with lots of song and craic.

Cathal Cudden and Paul Curtis left last week and are now on the mountain summit bound. They are going as a small team and should now be up the Kahiltna Glacier. Further progress on the way… stay tuned.
Wednesday, 26 July 2006 00:00
Published in K2 BroadPeak 2006
Winds strengthening up to weekend but then easing at the weekend. (forecast team Netherlands)

Comments on weather

This may give another summit window for the climbers at base camp. If this is the case it will be a very hard decision to stay at base camp if the forecast is to show improving weather.

On Morning Ireland today Banjo confirms all Irish climbers are resting and feeling very strong but do need a few days to regain their strength before another summit bid.

Getting to the summit is only half ways to succeeding.

All climbers realise that getting to the summit is only half ways and the real success has to be focused on returning to base camp and home. To many in the past focused on the summit and never returned to tell the tale.

So for now Mick Ger and Banjo will be looking for a clear weather pattern before moving higher on the mountain again, knowing that the next shot may be their last on the mountain if they were to be pushed back because of bad weather.

Estimated time that a climber on K2 will look for in a good weather pattern.

A summit party will require between 5 to 7 days of good weather to achieve the summit and return to base camp. This may not all the time be available and some times a climber may need to move in worsening conditions to be in place at the higher camps for good weather and a summit attempt. Lets hope that Banjo, Mike and Ger will get the forecast they need.

Pat Falvey

For the best of Irish mountaineering news and comments

Photo Banjo Bannon
Thursday, 27 July 2006 00:00

11:38 am EST Jul 26, 2006
( Nives Meroi and husband Romano Benet summit K2 today.

The two climbers left on their summit push at 2:00 am this morning according to and reached the top at 10:30 am (local time). Both are now safely back in Camp 4.

Nives has thus bagged her 8th 8000er. The couple have also achieved the first summits on K2 since 2004.

Helped by the great weather and good condition of the route, Nives and Romano climbed alone - all the other expeditions decided to hold off over the last few days. A storm had wiped out all the equipment left on the mountain – making it impossible for other expeditions to continue their ascent.

Nives and Romano will spend the night in Camp 4 and will then descend to BC where they’ll rest until Saturday July 29, when they are scheduled to return to Italy.

Nives Meroi was born in Bergamo in September, 1961. She has previously summited Nanga Parbat, Cho Oyu, GII, GI, Broad Peak, Lhotse, Dhaulagiri, and now K2. She also has reached Shisha Pangma’s Central Summit. Nives had attempted K2 twice (1994 and 2003 through the north side) and Everest in 1999. She typically travels light, without oxygen or high-altitude porters.

Romano Benet was born in Tarvisio in April, 1962. He is an Alpine Guide and has summited seven 8,000ers, plus Shisha’s Central summit, and bef0re his recent summit, he had attempted K2 three times. He has opened many difficult routes in the Alps and a new line on Bhagirathi II (6,450 m), Garwahl Himalaya.

I’d like to thank for keeping us updated on what’s happening in the Karakoram. Thanks lads for a brilliant service.


For the best in Irish mountaineering news and comments

Page 10 of 10